President, Oculoplastics Association of India
Dr Usha Kim heads the Department of Orbit, Oculoplasty, Ocular Oncology and Ocular Prosthetics at Aravind Eye Hospitals. After completing her graduation in Medicine from the prestigious PSG Institute of Medicine, Coimbatore, she went on to complete her residency in Ophthalmology at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. Later, she underwent specialized training in field of Orbit, Oculoplasty and Ocular Oncology under the guidance of Dr. William B. Stewart at the University of California, USA.
In 1998, Dr. Usha started the Department of Orbit and Oculoplasty at Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. Under her leadership, the department has become a Centre of Excellence in the treatment of the rarer ocular conditions that have to do with trauma, congenital anomalies and cancers of the eye. The department has become one of the leading units for diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and research in this field of ophthalmology. In the last 20 years, this clinic has seen over 5,53,282 patients and performed over 1,28,159 surgeries – making it one among the largest units for orbit and oculoplasty work in the world. The Department has integrated oncology care for patients as well as started providing custom-made cosmetic ocular prosthetics. Dr. Usha continues to be a high volume cataract surgeon at Aravind in addition to her surgical expertise in orbit , oculoplasty.
Deeply moved by the plight of the helpless patients who discontinue treatment for want of money, Dr. Usha set up the Ring of Hope initiative in 2004, to raise funds for the treatment of ocular cancers. Till date, 7374 patients have been treated free of cost under this programme.
Dr Usha’s unit is also a preferred destination for training in Orbit, Oculoplasty, Ocular Oncology & Ocular Prosthetics – so far, 72 ophthalmologists have undergone long-term fellowship under her; 23 international fellows have undergone short term training. In addition, 77 ocularists from across the globe have been trained in the technical skills of producing custom-made ocular prosthetics.
Dr Usha is a member of various bodies within and outside Aravind. She is currently the President of Oculoplastics Association of India. Given her interest in Oncology, she is currently involved in genetic research pertaining to Retinoblastoma. She has 63 publications to her credit out of which 37 are in international 26 national and State journals.
She has also contributed to several books. She has coauthored the Atlas of Imaging in Neuro-ophthalmology and Orbit. She is currently the reviewer of the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology.
In addition to her core clinical work, Dr. Usha Kim is involved in key leadership positions at the Aravind Eye Care System. She is the Director of the Allied Ophthalmic Personnel training programme since 2005. This programme is accredited by JCAHPO, USA. Over the last five years, she has taken up the additional responsibility of overseeing the growing network of Aravind’s primary eye care service, which has 76 centres currently.
She was the Best Outgoing Student of her school and college. Dr. Usha is the proud recipient of several major awards, to name a few:
• CP Gupta Award for ‘Best Paper’ from TNOA in 2002
• ‘ ‘Best Poster’ award for Prospective Evaluation of Contracted Anophthalmic Sockets in the Indo Israel Meeting held in Chennai in 2005
• ‘Vocational excellence Award’ from Rotary Club of Madurai in 2010 for her work in the community
• Best Orbital Photography’ award in Joint Meeting of the Oculoplastics Association of India & Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 2007
• International Women’s day Excellence award by the Lions club of Madurai District 324-B3 March 8, 2015 for her work in the field of Ocular Oncology
• PSG & Sons’ Charities, Coimbatore Scroll of Honour awarded for her an eminent expert in diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and research in ophthalmology holding a key leadership position in a reputed Eye Care system, for having conducted a large number of cataract surgeries in addition to her widely acclaimed expertise in orbit oculoplasty, ocular prosthetic services, ocular oncology and her personal involvement in the Ring of Hope initiative. Jan 27, 2016
• March 2019, International Women’s day Elegance of womanhood award of Excellence, BNI, Chanakayaas, Madurai.
• March 2019, Vocational Excellence award by Rotary Club of Madurai Blossom RI District 3000 Club No 8700 charted on 29.06.15, for her dedicated efforts for future vision in advanced eye care.
• July 2019, Vocational Excellence award by Rotary Club of Madurai Star/Madurai East/Madurai Kings City Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of exemplary contribution in the field of Medicine and for her Commitment and Dedication to High moral and Ethical values.